Web Accessibility Toolbar 2011 – Updated

We have been working on bug fixes to the Web Accessibility Toolbar 2011, the update is now available for download, includes the latest version of aViewer.

In honour of Jim Thatcher’s important and continuing contribution to making the web a more accessible medium, I have worked on an update to the Web Accessibility Toolbar for Internet Explorer, which includes new features that he has developed.

Today At CSUN 2011, Jim Thatcher is being presented with a life time achievement award. Here at TPG we join the many others in the Accessibility Community that wish to thank Jim for his continuing leadership, insight and guidance on web accessibility.

Jim has been a supporter of the Web Accessibility Toolbar since its initial release back in 2004. Of late, I have not had the time to work on developing the WAT. Jim emailed me last year with some scripts he had developed that provide additional features for checking web content. I had not incorporated these new features into the WAT, but thought the honouring of Jim at this years CSUN as the perfect excuse to pull my finger out and release an update. Its a leaner version than WAT 2.0, I have removed outdated, obsolete or buggy features, and added some new stuff.

WAT 2011

Changes:

• additional features for inspecting images, skip links and tables developed by Jim Thatcher
  • bundled the aViewer application with the WAT
  • added back-in a references menu
  • Toolbar button to access the developer tools panel built in to Internet Explorer
  • HTML5 conformance checking
  • ARIA Landmark role display
  • HTML5 section elements display
  • removed a bunch of features that need updating or are obsolete.

NOTES:

Download

Web Accessibility Toolbar 2011 (2mb) (Updated 29/06/2011)

Thanks to Jim Thatcher and Jun (main contributor to the WAT, CCA and aViewer).

About Steve Faulkner

Steven is the Senior Web Accessibility Consultant and Technical Director, TPG Europe. He joined The Paciello Group in 2006 and was previously a Senior Web Accessibility Consultant at vision australia. He is the creator and lead developer of the Web Accessibility Toolbar accessibility testing tool. Steve is a member of several groups, including the W3C HTML Working Group and the W3C Protocols and Formats Working Group. He is an editor of several specifications at the W3C including HTML 5.1, Using WAI-ARIA in HTML and HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives. He also develops and maintains www.HTML5accessibility.com
This entry was posted in accessibility testing, contrast analyser, HTML5, Internet Explorer, tools, Web Accessibility. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Web Accessibility Toolbar 2011 – Updated

1. roger says:

Nice one Steve and Jim, many, many thanks!

2. AMX says:

Sound great! Is this a whole new install, or will it update existing versions? (Will we need to uninstall the older version first?)

Cheers

andrew

3. Pingback: Web Accessibility Toolbar 2011 « AccessTech News

4. Pingback: Web Accessibility Toolbar 2011 « The BAT Channel

5. Cliff Tyllick says:

Is a Firefox version also under development? Please, please, please?

6. Pingback: Curb Cut » The Great Big List from the 2011 CSUN International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference

7. Pingback: links for 2011-03-21 « riverrun by meaghn | beta

8. Pingback: links for 2011-03-22 « riverrun by meaghn | beta

9. Thank you Steve for your work. This tool is very useful for us.

10. Pingback: Some links for light reading (22/3/11) | Max Design

11. Pingback: links for 2011-03-23 « riverrun by meaghn | beta

12. Pingback: Friday Focus 03/25/11: Sassy Sliders | Devlounge

13. Kiwi says:

Thanks so much for the latest version of the Web Accessibility Toolbar. A top quality resource that I use all the time not only across my own site but others I assess as well.
    A brilliant job – well done!

14. Steve, I can’t stress how much I want that toolbar for Firefox. :)

15. Hi. When you install it, it says, unhelpfully, that it’s available under “a Creative Commons license”. Which one? There are any number of Creative Commons licenses.

TRiG.

16. Pingback: Web Accessibility Toolbar (Barra dell’accessibilità): Accessibile

17. I didn’t noticed the update until today – Thx for sharing!

18. Pingback: Some links for light reading (1/7/11) | Max Design

19. Kiwi says:

Once again – a BRILLIANT 29/06/2011 update :) The Function Accessibility Evaluator tool using FAE is a top quality resource to assist in achieving 100% valid web pages. As you will imagine I am now busy sorting out a few pages that require alteration. To say a mere thank you is not enough.

20. Joe says:

Use the toolbar everyday, great bit of work and a real time saver.

I would love to see the ability to highlight the focus order of elements on a page, which I think was a feature of the earlier versions of this toolbar. I still find people using the tabindex attribute inconsistently, and found this feature invaluable before.

Thanks again for such a useful utility!