HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives is a work in progress currently edited by me, I encourage anyone with an interest to contribute to its development.
The HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives document is intended as a replacement for the text alternative examples and authoring conformance requirements in section 188.8.131.52 Requirements for providing text to act as an alternative for images, of the current editors draft of the W3C HTML5 specification.
- Provide clear and practical advice on how to provide appropriate text alternatives for images using currently supported techniques.
- How to make use of the new features available in HTML5 and WAI-ARIA for providing text alternatives.
- Understanding the advantages and disadvantages of each technique in reference to browser and assistive technology support.
- Provide normative rules for each technique in regards to whether its correct use results in a conforming HTML5 document.
- Harmonization of HTML5 document conformance with WCAG 2.0 in regards to image text alternatives.
How to get involved
If you want to comment or contribute on the HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives draft you can file a bug or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email a comment to email@example.com.
To get involved further you can join the W3C HTML Working Group.